The 8th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition will be held at OHCHR headquarters in Geneva, Switzerland from 18 to 20 July 2016
The Competition is open to undergraduate and master's degree law students from all institutions of tertiary education in the world.
Registration is open!
- Registration opened on 1 February 2016.
- Deadline for registration is 16 May 2016.
Every university in the world is invited to present a team of two students – preferably one woman and one man. Participation in the Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition happens in 3 phases of progressive elimination
1. Phase 1: Registration of teams and submission of memorials
- Registration opens on 1 February 2016. All teams are required to submit written memorials before 16 May 2016.
- Registration and submission of memorials is free of charge.
2. Phase 2: Pre-final rounds
- The top 5 teams from each of the UN regions are selected on the basis of their memorials to take part in the pre-final rounds in Geneva on 18 and 19 July 2016.
- Participating teams in the pre-final rounds in Geneva are not required to pay a registration fee, but must cover all costs including: travel to Geneva, accommodation and meals. The Centre for Human Rights will however, facilitate discounted hotel bookings.
3. Phrase 3: Final round in Geneva
- The top 2 teams from the pre-final rounds advance to the final round to be held in Room XX of Palais des Nations (the Human Rights Council Chamber) on 20 July 2016.
Registration Form: Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition 2016
Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition 2016: Calendar
Registration opens 1 February 2016
Registration closes 16 May 2016
- Release of hypothetical case to be argued
15 February 2016
- Request for clarification of facts
Submit by 29 February 2016
- Response to requests for clarification of facts
Publicised by 14 March 2016
- Submission of memorials
Submit by 16 May 2016
- Announcement of the 25 qualifying teams
30 May 2016
- Confirmation of travel details
27 June 2016