The 9th Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition will be held at Palais des Nations in Geneva, Switzerland from 18 to 21 July 2017
The Competition is open to undergraduate and master's degree law students from all institutions of tertiary education in the world.
Registration is open!
- Registration opened on 27 October 2016
- Deadline for registration is 12 June 2017.
Every university in the world is invited to present a team of two students – preferably one woman and one man. Participation in the Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition happens in 3 phases of progressive elimination:
1. Phase 1: Registration of teams and submission of memorials
- Registration opens on 17 October 2017. The hypothetical case will be published on 1 January 2017. All teams are required to submit written memorials before 12 June 2017
- Registration and submission of memorials is free of charge.
2. Phase 2: Pre-final rounds
- The top 5 teams from each of the 5 UN regions are selected on the basis of their memorials to take part in the pre-final rounds in Geneva on 18 and 19 July 2017.
- Participating teams in the pre-final rounds in Geneva are not required to pay a registration fee, but must cover all costs including: travel to Geneva, accommodation and meals. The Centre for Human Rights will however, facilitate discounted hotel bookings.
3. Phrase 3: Final round in Geneva
- The top 2 teams from the pre-final rounds advance to the final round to be held at Palais des Nations (the Human Rights Council Chamber) on 21 July 2017.
Registration Form: Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition 2017
Nelson Mandela World Human Rights Moot Court Competition 2017: Calendar
Registration opens 27 October 2016
Registration closes 12 June 2017
- Release of hypothetical case to be argued
1 January 2017
- Request for clarification of facts
Submit by 10 April 2017
- Response to requests for clarification of facts
Publicised by 3 May 2017
- Submission of memorials
Submit by 12 June 2017
- Announcement of the 25 qualifying teams
19 June 2017
- Confirmation of travel details
3 July 2017