The Democratic Governance and Digital Rights Unit is principally aimed at supporting the mandate of the Special Rapporteur on Freedom of Expression and Access to Information in Africa of the African Commission on Human and Peoples’ Rights in the promotion and protection of Freedom of Expression and Access to information on the continent, as guaranteed by article 9 of the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights and further elaborated by the Declaration of Principles on Freedom of Expression in Africa. Through a combined approach of research, training and advocacy, the following projects are currently being undertaken by the program:
- Promoting the ratification of the African Charter on Democracy, Elections and Governance;
- Popularising the right of access to information as an integral component in the domestication of the African Charter on Democracy Elections and Governance and other relevant African Union Instruments;
- Developing a Model Law on Access to Information for African Union Member States, which sets minimum regional standards and provides uniform benchmarks for its implementation;
- Promoting the formulation, adoption or review of access to information legislation by African Union Member States in conformity with the Model Law;
- Promoting the repeal of criminal laws limiting Freedom of Expression in Africa;
- Increasing the visibility and accessibility of the Special Rapporteur.