The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, is seeking a Manager for the Women's Rights Unit. The deadline for applications is 1 March 2021.
Job Title: Project Manager: Women's Rights Unit Manager: Centre for Human Rights (One year renewable contract)
Job ID: 24066
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
UP Professional and Support
CENTRE FOR HUMAN RIGHTS
FACULTY OF LAW
PROJECT MANAGER: WOMEN’S RIGHTS UNIT MANAGER (ONE-YEAR RENEWABLE CONTRACT)
PEROMNES POST LEVEL 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy.
The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The incumbent will be responsible for the overall management of the Women’s Rights Unit of the Centre for Human Rights, which is one of the Centre’s research, education, training capacity building and advocacy units. The incumbent will:
- Performing and implement various project activities within the Unit;
- Growing the project portfolio of the Unit by identifying and developing new project areas in women’s rights in South Africa, Africa and beyond;
- Managing the existing, and establish new partnerships for the work of the Unit, including collaborations with civil society organisations working on women’s rights in Africa;
- Representing the Centre in various forums related to the rights of women, including regional meetings and sessions of relevant treaty bodies;
- Developing and improve monitoring and evaluation plans for the Unit, and develop monitoring and impact indicators for project activities;
- Monitoring all project activities, expenditure and progress towards achieving project outputs;
- Managing fundraising and financial oversight for the Unit to Create a sustainable and diverse fundraising portfolio for the Unit’s activities; develop a comprehensive and coherent fundraising strategy for the Unit’s work; research potential donors to gain insight into needs, beliefs and donation habits; write grant applications to grant makers and handle all administrative aspects of fundraising;
- Leading all interactions and communication with project donors and funders with the aim of sustaining long term funding collaborations;
- Contributing to communications and media engagements of the Unit by implementing an information and communications strategy for the Unit in consultation with the Centre’s Communications Manager;
- Performing research and capacity building on women’s rights; and
- Performing human resources management of the Unit staff to ensure delivery of Unit objectives.
- A Master’s degree in Human Rights, Women’s Rights, Gender Studies or related field;
- Five years’ experience in:
- Project management;
- Research, advocacy and capacity building related to women’s rights;
- Working with non-governmental organisation(s);
- Fundraising and donor report writing;
- Experience in and understanding of human rights issues in an African context.
REQUIRED COMPETENCIES (SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND BEHAVIOURAL ATTRIBUTES):
- Project management and networking skills;
- Excellent writing and proposal writing skills;
- Excellent IT skills: Microsoft Office Suite;
- Leadership and interpersonal skills;
- Ability to travel within Africa;
- Knowledge and understanding of women’s rights issues in an African context;
- Ability to work independently, and to multi-task efficiently.
ADDED ADVANTAGES AND PREFERENCES:
- A professional qualification in project management;
- Experience in high level stakeholder engagement including United Nations and African Union officials;
PLEASE NOTE: All shortlisted candidates may be required to participate in relevant skills assessments as part of the selection process.
The annual remuneration package will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
CLOSING DATE: 1 March 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
ENQUIRIES: Ms Carole Viljoen Tel: (012) 420 3810 / 082 787 1585 or firstname.lastname@example.org for application-related enquiries, and Dr Nkatha Murungi email@example.com for enquiries relating to the post content.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 30 April 2021, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given, but is not limited to candidates from under-represented designated groups.
All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials.
The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.