The Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity and Expression, and Sex Characteristics (SOGIESC) Unit of the Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law, is recruiting for the part-time position of Student Project Associate under a nine-month contract beginning on 1 April 2021 and ending on 31 December 2021, renewable based on performance and continued funding.
Currently, registered University of Pretoria students are encouraged to apply.
Bachelor’s degree in law or a related field such as social sciences.
A Master’s degree in law or a related field such as social sciences.
Required knowledge and competencies:
- Knowledge of both the South African and international legal and developmental framework around LGBTI rights.
- Familiarity of the South African and international LGBTI landscape in terms of networks, issues, histories and the political and legal landscape.
- Knowledge of and sensitivity towards LGBTI issues, challenges and individual and group needs.
- Proven competence in administrative work including organising workshops, seminars, conferences and trainings, updating and populating the Unit’s web page on a regular basis, being custodian of project and Unit materials and resources, organising meetings, taking minutes and following up on matters and tasks.
- Ability to plan and run online and media campaigns on pertinent and current LGBTI issues.
- Competence in effectively communicating organisational stands through statements and opinion pieces.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, team spirit, conscientiousness and the ability to go the extra mile.
Recommended knowledge and competencies:
- Knowledge and competence in planning, implementing, monitoring and evaluating activities and short-term projects.
- Good budgeting and financial management and monitoring skills.
- Familiarity with local and international human rights bodies and the ability to work in cooperation with them with minimal supervision.
- Excellent writing and speaking skills in English. Knowledge of French, Portuguese or one South African language is an added advantage.
A maximum of 20 hours a week.
In accordance with the University of Pretoria policy for students associates.
21 March 2021
Process: Applications should be submitted with a CV and letter of motivation containing a self-evaluation related to the stipulated requirements of the position to email@example.com