The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, is seeking a Communications and Advocacy Manager. The deadline for applications is 23 November 2021
Faculty of Law
Centre for Human Rights
Manager: Communications and Advocacy (one-year renewable contract appointment)
Peromnes: Post Level 7
In pursuit of the ideals of excellence and diversity, the University of Pretoria wishes to invite applications for the following vacancy. The University of Pretoria's commitment to quality makes us one of the top research Universities in the country and gives us a competitive advantage in international science and technology development.
The responsibilities of the incumbent will include:
- Developing and overseeing the implementation of the Centre’s overall communication strategy, including its media engagement strategy, to increase the visibility of the Centre and its activities;
- Providing guidance on communications, advocacy and marketing to the Centre and its staff;
- Managing the Centre’s Communications and Advocacy team members;
- Ensure that all materials (online or printed) adhere to the highest professional standards;
- Conceptualizing, developing, designing, improve and maintaining the Centre online platforms;
- Updating various platforms with new and updated content (including photographs, videos, graphics, blog posts, open access journals, book covers, publications, podcasts and infographics);
- Conceptualizing, developing, design and maintaining e-learning platforms, document databases, information products, publications, and online application forms for Centre programmes, projects and events;
- Working with various staff members on the development of massive open online courses (MOOCs);
- Managing and ensuring quality control of all the Centre's social media channels (e.g. Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube and LinkedIn), including analysis of performance of social media through various metrics;
- Working with other Centre staff members on social media campaigns;
- Working with other Centre staff members on the annual advocacy campaign;
- Developing, organizing and publicizing online events in collaboration with various stakeholders;
- Working with various staff members on press statements, opinion pieces and media events;
- Liaison with national and international media;
- Providing IT support, and general communications and technology guidance to staff.
- Honours degree in Communications/Marketing/Multimedia/Public Relations or related field;
- A total of five years’ experience in:
Management of communications, marketing, media relations and publications, and in the management of teams;
Website design and maintenance.
Required Competencies (skills, knowledge and behavioural attributes):
- Excellent command of written English;
- An AU language other than English (in particular, French or Portuguese)
- Excellent writing and editing skills;
- Skilled at event management;
- Technical competencies in social media management, photography, website management, graphic design and publications;
- Knowledge of internet trends and of website and market requirements;
- Knowledge of internal and external communications trends in universities and/or NGOs;
- Knowledge of public relations, communications and marketing in the university environment;
- Knowledge of the African human rights system and its related organisational structures;
- Understanding messaging for different platforms and audiences;
- Knowledge of journalism, publishing and printing;
- Ability to work with different people, with different backgrounds and with different requirements;
- Ability to give attention to detail;
- Organisational skills;
- Ability to work under pressure and on numerous projects at once; going beyond the scope of the position to assist on a cross-cutting level;
- Technical savvy in general, with strong computer skills.
Added Advantages and Preferences:
- Master’s degree in Communications and/or a Human Rights related field;
- Three years working experience in:
- A field related to human rights, particularly in an African context;
- Advocacy and campaigns, particularly in an African context;
- A university and/or NGO, particularly in an African context;
- Drivers license.
The all-inclusive remuneration package for this contract position will be commensurate with the incumbent’s level of appointment, as determined by UP policy guidelines
Applicants are requested to apply online.
In applying for this post, please attach:
- A comprehensive CV;
- Certified copies of qualifications;
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact.
- A motivation letter, indicating how the applicant meets the minimum requirements and required competencies;
- Evidence of the applicant’s recent work, relevant to the position.
- Names, e-mail addresses and telephone details of three referees whom we have permission to contact;
Closing Date: 23 November 2021
No application will be considered after the closing date, or if it does not comply with at least the minimum requirements.
Should you not hear from the University of Pretoria by 31 January 2022, please accept that your application has been unsuccessful.
The University of Pretoria is committed to equality, employment equity and diversity.
In accordance with the Employment Equity Plan of the University and its Employment Equity goals and targets, preference may be given but is not limited to candidates from underrepresented designated groups. All candidates who comply with the requirements for appointment are invited to apply. All candidates agree to undergo verification of personal credentials. The University of Pretoria reserves the right to not fill the advertised positions.