About the course
The Advanced Human Rights Course on the Right to Privacy in Africa is hosted by the Expression, Information and Digital Rights (EIDR) Unit of the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria. The main objective of this course is to improve existing knowledge on various intersecting aspects of data protection within the African context.
The Course focuses on specific issues that intersect with data protection including:
- Concepts and clarification
- International and regional frameworks
- Vulnerable persons
- Digital IDs
- Open governance
- International human rights mechanisms
- Social protection and poverty eradication programmes
- Data Protection Agencies (DPAs)
- New and emerging technologies
Participation is limited to 30-40 persons with a focus on participants from various African countries. Participation is drawn from civil society organisations, policymakers, academia, grassroots advocates, private sector actors and others. Certificates will be presented to the participants ONLY after they have fully participated in all the sessions in the Course.
The course will run for five days in September 2022 and it will be taught by various subject-matter experts.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions, all courses will be conducted in a virtual format. Participants are therefore required to have access to a stable internet connection. The Centre for Human Rights will however review the situation from time to time and will advise applicants on the resumption of contact sessions.
The Course is free.
Application dates will be announced soon.
High proficiency in English is required to attend this course. All lectures and materials are in English. Prior to applying for this course, please read through the information on the practical information.
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum Vitae (short CV in PDF or Word document, maximum 3 pages, maximum 10 MB in file size)
- One Letter of Recommendation (PDF or Word document, maximum of 10 MB in file size)
- Academic Records (students only) (combined in one PDF or Word document, maximum 10 MB in file size)
*Please note that in order to apply for any of the Advanced Human Rights Courses, you are required to use a Google Gmail account.
For more information, please contact: