The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, in partnership with Ghent University, will host an online one-week intensive short course on the African Human Rights System in Comparative Perspectives from 15 to 19 March 2021.
Course date: 15 –19 March 2021
Venue: Online (Zoom)
Important: COVID-19 information
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and current restrictions, all courses will be conducted in a virtual format. Participants are therefore required to have access to a stable internet connection. The Centre for Human Rights will however review the situation from time to time and will advise applicants on the resumption of contact sessions.
About the course
The course focuses on regional human rights norms and its application in Africa.
The course covers issues such as:
- A general introduction to human rights law and the role players in the development and enforcement of human rights norms in Africa
- The United Nations system
- Human rights treaties and their status in Africa
- European human rights systems
- Inter-American human rights systems
- The African Union and human rights
- The African Commission on Human and Peoples' Rights as well as the African Court on Human and Peoples' Rights
As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic and its impact on travel and global lockdowns, the course will be offered online on Zoom.
Participation in the course therefore FREE of charge.
Since the course is FREE, scholarships are no longer applicable.
Please note: Applications closed on 11 March 2021.
A high proficiency in English is required to attend this course. All lectures and materials are in English. Prior to applying for this course, please read through the information on the practical information and the payment details pages.
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum Vitae (short CV in PDF or Word document, maximum 3 pages, maximum 10 MB in file size)
- One Letter of Recommendation (PDF or Word document, maximum of 10 MB in file size)
- Academic Records (students only) (combined in one PDF or Word document, maximum 10 MB in file size)
*Please note that in order to apply for any of the Advanced Human Rights Courses, you are required to use a Google Gmail account.
Applications closed on 11 March 2021.
Overview of previous courses
For more information, please contact:
Tel: +27 (0) 12 420 4197
Fax: +27 (0) 86 580 5743