The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, cordially invites you to its 8th Annual Disability Rights Conference on 17 and 18 November 2020, which will take place virtually via Zoom. The theme of this year’s conference is ‘Realising the right to health of persons with disabilities in Africa’.
Date: Tuesday 17 November 2020 | Wednesday 18 November 2020
Session 1: 08:00 – 11:00 GMT | 09:00 – 12:00 WAT | 10:00 – 13:00 SAST | 11:00 – 14:00 EAT
Session 2: 12:00 – 15:00 GMT | 13:00 – 16:00 WAT | 14:00 – 17:00 SAST | 15:00 – 18:00 EAT
Venue: Online (Zoom)
- No registration fee is charged but pre-registration is compulsory.
- The deadline for registration is 12 November 2020.
- The conference proceedings will be recorded and live-streamed on the Centre’s Facebook page
About the Conference
For the past seven years, the Centre for Human Rights has hosted the Annual Disability Rights Conference in November of each year. The conference acts as a platform for convening dialogue amongst key stakeholders on disability rights, and to spotlight the pertinent and emerging disability rights concerns in the African region. More information on previous editions of the conference can be foundat www.chr.up.ac.za/disability-rights-projects/dru-annual-conference
In 2020, the conference will focus on developing responses for overcoming barriers faced by persons with disabilities in the respect, protection and fulfilment of the right to health in the African region.
The conference has two main complementary objectives:
- Critically appraise laws, policies, practices, programmes, polities, and ideologies that impede the respect, protection, and fulfillment of the right to health of persons with disabilities; and
- To suggest how to overcome the impediments. Discussions during the conference will contribute towards the realisation of the right to health of persons with disabilities as set out in Article 25 of the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD) and Article 15 of the Protocol to the African Charter on Human and Peoples’ Rights on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa (African Disability Rights Protocol).
The conference seeks to bring together scholars, practitioners, care and service providers, researchers and other pertinent actors from the African region and beyond who are working on various aspects of the right to health of persons with disabilities.
For more information, please contact: