The Advanced Human Rights Course on The Right to Development in Africa, hosted by the Centre for Human Rights in collaboration with the University of Antwerp was held at the University of Pretoria (UP).
This year’s course was attended by 41 participants working or studying in fields related to development, representing 17 African countries. A number of delegates from the South African Human Rights Commission also attended the course.
The theme of the 2019 edition of the course was ‘Towards African sustainable development respecting fundamental human rights, which functions on the basis of blue technology, equitable and integrated markets’.
Presenters on the course included:
- Prof Frans Viljoen, Centre for Human Rights, UP
- Prof Michelo Hansungule, Centre for Human Rights, UP
- Prof Serges Kamga, Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute, UNISA
- Dr Donald Rukare, Chief of Party, Freedom House Kampala, Uganda
- Ms Yuri Ramkisson, Senior Researcher on Socio-economic Rights, South African Human Rights Commission
- Ms Elizabeth Moatshe, Director: Environmental Compliance, City of Tshwane, South Africa
- Dr Carol Ngang, Centre for Human Rights, University of the Free State
- Dr Peter Wandwasi, Thabo Mbeki African Leadership Institute, UNISA
- Dr Geraldine Reymenants, Head of Delegation, Delegation of the Government of Flanders, Pretoria
- Dr Liliana Lizarazo-Rodriguez, Law and Development Research Group, Faculty of Law, University of Antwerpen, Belgium
- Mr Justin Chinyanta, CEO, Loita Group of Companies, Johannesburg, South Africa
- Dr Rita Ozoemena, Reseacher, Centre for Human Rights, UP
- Dr Olayinka Adeniyi, Researcher, Centre for Human Rights, UP
- Dr Emmanuel Gerald Kamga, Centre for Human Rights, University of the Free State
- Prof Mammo Muchie, SARChI Chair in Innovation Studies, Tshwane University of Technology, South Africa
The course is realised through the generous support of the General Representation of the Government of Flanders in South Africa.
The course was held from 19 to 23 August 2019.
For more information, please contact: