The LLM in International Trade and Investment Law in Africa is a unique programme to which 25 to 30 individuals from African countries with a degree allowing access to the legal profession (e.g. LLB or licence en Droit) and preferably experience in the field of trade and investment law are admitted.
In addition to the general admission requirements, the following specific selection criteria are used in combination to select the eligible students:
- a demonstrated professional, academic and personal interest in trade and investment law in Africa.
- an indication that the applicant would be likely to put the qualification to good use in his or her future career, preferably in his or her country of origin (the ‘multiplier effect’);
- geographic representation(in the sense that an overrepresentation of students from a particular African country will be avoided, given the pan-African scope and ambitions of the programme);
- gender representation (in the sense that an equitable balance between women and men is sought);
How to apply?
Applications for the programme to study at the University of Pretoria are fully online.
All applications are handled via Submittable.
The deadline for applications is 31 July 2020
- Individuals from all African countries are invited to apply for admission to study for the Master’s Degree (LLM) in International Trade and Investment Law in Africa at the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, South Africa.
- Applicants must be in possession of the first degree in Law (LLB, licence en droit or licenciatura em direito).
- Applicants with foreign qualifications are encouraged to contact the SAQA for the certification of their qualifications (http://www.saqa.org.za/)
- All documents uploaded must be typewritten.
- The following documents will be requested during your application:
- Previous academic records/transcripts
- Previous degree certificate(s)
- Copy of bio-data page of passport
- A good quality photograph of yourself
- For applicants who did not obtain their qualifications in English: TOEFL, SAT1 or IELTS Test certificate.
Deadline for receipt of applications for the 2021 class is 31 July 2020.
All applicants will be notified whether they were successful or not by 30 September 2020.
THIS IS A VERY COMPETITIVE PROGRAMME, ONLY 20 STUDENTS ARE SELECTED AND OFFERED PLACEMENTS PER YEAR.