The Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria, will host a one-week intensive short course on disability rights in an African context from 11 – 15 March 2024.
Course date: 11 – 15 March 2024
Venue: Online (Zoom)
About the course
This short course is part of a series of annual advanced human rights courses offered by the Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria. The course is part of the Centre’s efforts in promoting disability rights in Africa by raising awareness about the United Nations Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CPRD) (2006) and the newly adopted Protocol to the African Charter on Human and People’s Rights on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities in Africa (2018).
Broadly stated, the aims and objectives of the intensive course are to provide learners with knowledge and techniques that enable them to:
- Understand the development of disability as a global human rights issue
- Understand and apply provisions of the CRPD
- Apply the CRPD to selected areas
- Understand the development of disability as a human rights issue as the African regional and sub-regional levels
- Understand and apply the intersection between the human rights and cultural aspects of disability in an African context
- Understand and apply disability from a comparative human rights law perspective in other regions, including the European and Latin American regions
- Understand and apply the regulation of disability from a comparative law perspective in selected non-African countries
- Understand and apply theoretical approaches to equality and non-discrimination in a disability context.
- The course is presented by lecturers who are drawn from a variety of countries and are experts in disability rights law.
The course will be offered in a hybrid format.
Participation in the course online is a $150 USD.
In person attendance is $250 USD.
Participants wishing to attend physically are required to write a short motivation for attending the course in person. A limited number of scholarships are available. These scholarships are awarded on a very competitive basis.
Please note: Applications closed on 27 February 2024.
A high proficiency in English is required to attend this course. All lectures and materials are in English. Prior to applying for this course, please read through the information on the practical Information and the payment details pages.
Documents to be submitted:
- Curriculum Vitae (short CV in PDF or Word document, maximum 3 pages, maximum 10 MB in file size)
- One Letter of Recommendation (PDF or Word document, maximum 10 MB in file size)
- Academic Records (students only) (combined in one PDF or Word document, maximum 10 MB in file size)
*Please note that in order to apply for any of the Advanced Human Rights Courses, you are required to use a Google Gmail account.
Applications closed on 27 February 2024.
If you do not hear from us within 5 days after applications have closed, please consider your application unsuccessfull.
Overview of previous courses
For more information, please contact:
Disability Rights Unit, Centre for Human Rights, University of Pretoria